[Bioclusters] Sequest on Linux

Twigger Simon simont at mcw.edu
Tue Aug 16 11:23:48 EDT 2005

Hi Chris,

My group is running Sequest on an IBM JS20 cluster (Suse linux). My
knowledge of the gory details is not sufficient to really answer your
questions, however, I can share my quick thoughts and I believe our
SysAdmin (Kent Brodie) is also on the list and will get back to you
with more of the real details.

Our current configuration has a Windows headnode running 8 dual
processor JS20 nodes. Sequest uses PVM for job distribution and once
you have it set up it seems to do a decent job with only a few
hiccups here and there. We did not look at trying to integrate with
LSF or SGE. We prototyped the port of Sequest to the PowerPC
architecture in collaboration with IBM and Thermo and so stayed with
a vanilla PVM-Sequest system and we currently dont run anything else
on the cluster. I see no reason why we cant run other things on there
(and that is the plan ultimately), but I dont know enough to
speculate about how well PVM and LSF/SGE would play together.

We haven't been generating vast quantities of data that we've want to
store as we've been mainly developing experimental techniques.
However, we're gearing up to start creating more results that we will
be keeping over the long term so we would be very interested in
chatting more about what we have and what you are thinking.

You can find a little more info on our website (proteomics.mcw.edu)
but the bioinformatics section is rather out of date and something I
now notice I have to fix. There is also an overview of what we are
trying to do in the area of proteomics and bioinformatics on the
NHLBI Proteomics website, this was an overview presentation I gave a
little while back so it doesnt have much detail.

http://www.nhlbi-proteomics.org/content/MCW_prest/Twigger.pdf

Kent will be able to answer your real questions but lets chat more
about how you are working on this as we'd love to share experiences
and learn from what you are trying.

Cheers,

     Simon.