[Bioclusters] SGE vs. LSF

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 14:40:31 EDT 2005

Richard: Does SGE work for you, and do you have anything that you don't
like with SGE??

Replying to a few things that Chris brought up:
1) DRMAA:
It's supposed to be batch system independent... it already has support
for Perl, Java, and .Net. The best thing is that you can use the same
code to interact with SGE, Condor, Gridway... and PBS in the future.

2) tight integration with parallel environments:
I wanted to get the TM (PBS's task management) interface work on SGE,
but don't have much time these days... in theory that can provide tight
integration for almost every parallel environment. For now, there are
HOWTOs on MPICH, Infiniband, and Myrinet integration... but it's a bit
messy since you need to debug the scripts :(

3) reliability/resiliency/failover
Not a lot of people need Berkeley DB spooling. For small clusters, just
use classic spooling. You can pick which one you want at installation
time. But for those who need Berkeley DB spooling, they will likely
have HA filesystems.

4) Grid:
Agreed that Multicluster is better than Globus...

5) Sun does offer support for all the platforms (except: Free/Net/*BSD,
IA64, PPC, NEX SX, Cray):
http://www.sun.com/software/gridware/

Rayson