[Bioclusters] Questions on mpiBLAST

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Feb 3 14:05:01 EST 2005

Hi Xiaowu:

   mpiblast makes a great deal of sense with large numbers of input
sequences, or with huge databases (nt).  There are startup costs to
moving the database, and typically you will get the best performance by
amortizing those costs over a large analysis (e.g. many sequences).

   It is possible (without knowing more about your situation), that the
rate limiting factor for your analysis is the speed of moving the
database fragments to the remote machines (this is still a serial
process even in  mpiblast).  If you are doing many sequence comparisons,
you will benefit as the database fragment motion needs to occur only
once.  If you are doing very few (under 100) sequence comparisons, then
the database fragment motion is liable to dominate your execution time.

   If you simply need a faster parallel blast, you might look into
pre-fetching the database fragments to the remote nodes, in which case
you no longer have that startup cost (though I don't remember if
mpiblast works with a prefetched set of databases).  As this effectively
defeats the mpiblast scheduler (which is one of the very nice features
of the code),  this is not such a good method to use mpiblast with,
though it works nicely with NCBI/WU blast.

   If Aaron is around, hopefully he can give you a more accurate/sound
answer, and correct any mistakes I may have made in suppositions.

Joe