[Bioclusters] Login & home directory strategies for PVM?

Michael Gutteridge mgutteri at fhcrc.org
Wed Feb 9 12:52:13 EST 2005

Ultimately, I'm not too worried about the ability of the network or NFS
server to handle the traffic.  However, as the number of nodes grow,
I'm becoming very concerned about the sheer number of mounts that are
required, with a corresponding increase in the RSS of the nfs server
processes.  I've got some really big hardware, so I may be making a
bigger deal of this than necessary, but with the number of nodes
doubling every year.... I'll have to burn this bridge at some point.

What I'm considering doing for now is using PVFS2 for home directories
($HOME).  PVFS2 seems to have improved redundancy- home directories on
the cluster would only be temporary storage anyway, so not too much of
a concern.  Databases are another question- I'm debating between PVFS2
and rsync'ng/distributing the database directories to the nodes.  I
guess I could go AFS/OpenAFS for that purpose too.

Long term I'm going to evaluate Lustre and GPFS, I think.  Lustre has
some impressive clients, but I'm using the 2.6 kernel, so I'd want to
wait until that gets a little more mature.  GPFS would work well with
some of the AIX gear I've got...

Thanks for the advice and help

Michael