[Bioclusters] O'Reilly Clusters Book Review

Glen Otero glen at callident.com
Fri Feb 25 14:21:25 EST 2005

On Feb 25, 2005, at 9:43 AM, James Cuff wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2005, at 3:23 AM, Glen Otero wrote:
>
>> My review of O'Reilly's latest clusters book published at HPCwire
>> (http://www.tgc.com/hpcwire.html):
>
> Glen, bit out of character for you this.

A little bit. HPCwire likes it when I cut loose because all their other
material is so bland.

> I just can't help but feel it has a slight air of sour grapes to it.

Possibly. I got over *most* of my bitterness a few years ago.

> I've seen far worse books...  ever tried to learn about Oracle from a
> book?

> Exactly ;-).

Yikes. I hope I don't have to read one of those :-)

> I think we should be a bit more proactive here.

I'm all about being proactive, which is why I maintain BioBrew and
write for HPCwire and ClusterWorld Magazine. And I'm on the program
committee for the ClusterWorld conference.

> It's a real small world.  There was a mention of a 'bioclusters book'
> on this list a while ago... maybe we should lead by example?  I'd be
> happy throw in a chapter...
>
> However, all I know about writing books is that takes for ever and
> ever, it's really hard work, big fat personal egos get in the way of
> good content, most of it is out of date by the time you finish, and in
> the end no one ever seems to thank you for it.

Book writing in this space is _very_ tough. I would certainly like to
help. First step is agreeing that a book is a good idea, instead of
things like wikis and HOWTOs, and then put together a list of
contributors, who can craft an outline. Maybe we should bring the topic
up again on the list?

Glen