[Bioclusters] Need some advice on a cluster for EST/cDNA assembly, clustering

David Adelson david.adelson at tamu.edu
Sun Feb 27 23:43:19 EST 2005

Gary,

The amount of money they need to spend on computing infrastructure for
an EST project should be far less than 120K.  Before they spend money
on hardware they should talk to people who deal with EST data.  Stephen
Moore is a professor in Edmonton (Animal Science) who does some cattle
EST work, so your colleagues may want to contact him.   I also have
some expertise in that area, but there are plenty of others out there
as well. The real killer in these projects is not building the contigs
or cluster or doing the BLAST searches, but building the project
relational db and figuring out how to get the most out of the data.

My $0.02

Dave Adelson
Texas A&M University