[Bioclusters] FW: cluster newbie

Bernard Li bli at bcgsc.ca
Wed Jan 5 14:51:47 EST 2005

Hi Nick:

There are many different toolkits that simplifies the building of a
cluster for you.  Some are generic (OSCAR, ROCKS) and some are more
specific (BioBrew has a lot of Bioinformatics tool pre-packaged).  It
really depends on what you want.

BioBrew has its own cd distribution because like ROCKS, they compile Red
Hat Enterprise Linux from source, so it is self-contained.

OSCAR, on the other hand, installs on top of an existing Linux
distribution, so if you are particular about what Linux you like, then
you can give OSCAR a try.

What sort of kernel re-compile issues are you encountering with Fedora
Core 2?  We are actually also working on support for Fedora Core 3 as we
speak, so perhaps the issue you are talking about can be resolved.

Disclaimer: I am a core developer of OSCAR :)

Cheers,

Bernard