[Beowulf] [Bioclusters] servers for bio web services setup (fwd from michab@dcs.gla.ac.uk) (fwd from bill@cse.ucdavis.edu)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jan 14 14:56:28 EST 2005

----- Forwarded message from Bill Broadley <bill at cse.ucdavis.edu> -----

From: Bill Broadley <bill at cse.ucdavis.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:30:39 -0800
To: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
Subject: Re: [Beowulf] [Bioclusters] servers for bio web services setup (fwd from michab at dcs.gla.ac.uk)

IMO you should plan on several front ends for the network facing servers
and a backend that runs a database (but is not network visible).

Something like 3 v20z dual opterons for the front ends, and someones
quad opteron as a backend.  I'd plan on a fair amount of disk even if
you are only storing metadata.  Either a chassis that can take 12-16
drives or a fiber connected external disk array.

I'm somewhat affiliated with a similar project setting up a similar
web/grid portal for the new genomics building/project here at UCD.

Definitely buy everything keeping in mind it will likely keep growing
over the next few years.