[Bioclusters] OS X and NFS

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Jul 15 08:53:15 EDT 2005

On 14 Jul 2005, at 11:37 pm, John H. Lee wrote:

> Since Juan's system is OS X, can anyone offer a suggestion for OS
> X?  Cluster filesystems like Lustre and PVFS sound promising for
> Linux, but what options do we have on Macs?  Any experience with
> Xsan?  With a fibre channel limit of 64 endpoints, can Xsan even be
> considered for systems as large as Tim's?
>
> We have a 16-node Xserve cluster with one Xserve RAID.  The RAID is
> connected via FC to one server, which exports the volumes via AFP
> and NFS over gigabit ethernet.  As expected, the AFP/NFS server is
> a bottleneck.

I believe SGI's cluster filesystem, CXFS, offers client access for
Mac OS X.  It's probably in the works for Lustre too (OS X's
filesystem plugin architecture should make an open source effort
possible - I just don't know whether the Lustre guys have done it)

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts
Informatics Systems Group, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute