[Bioclusters] (no subject)

Guy Coates gmpc at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Jul 20 12:24:24 EDT 2005

> Hi,
>
> I have an x86_64 bit machine that mounts a share with 32-bit programs.
> Is it possible to run a 32-bit application (R) when certain libraries
> that this application requires (libreadline) are only present in the
> 64-bit version?

The simplest thing to do is install the 32 bit libraries in a separate
directory, and include that directory in /etc/ld.so.conf. The linker will
"do the right thing" and link against 32bit libs when you execute the 32
bit binary.

Our x86-64 machines /etc/ld.so.conf looks like this:

/usr/X11R6/lib                # native 64 bit
/emul/ia32-linux/lib          # 32 bit libs
/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib
/emul/ia32-linux/usr/X11R6/lib

Everything 32 bit lives under /emul/ia32-linux, so we don't pollute the 64
bit environment with cruft.  If you are feeling really clever, you can
build  enough of a 32bit environment  under /emul/ia32-linux to be able to
do:

chroot /emul/ia32-linux apt-get install whatever-32-bit-libs-I-want

or whatever the equivalent is on fedora.

Guy

--
Dr. Guy Coates,  Informatics System Group
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1HH, UK