[Bioclusters] Webserver Hardware Spec

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Fri Jul 29 15:11:10 EDT 2005

Hi Peter,

You don't really provide enough details for us to help out with the
spec information. The jobs you are running, their requirements and
how often you need to run them are all important bits of data.

Web servers as a general rule can run on extremely cheap and low end
hardware so you should let your actual jobs and scientific workflow
drive the hardware requirements.

Some general pre-purchase advice:

  - the best benchmark test is one you run yourself using the
software tools and algorithms that are most important to you. Most
hardware vendors are willing to let you eval or test hardware you are
thinking about purchasing. Some may give you a loaner for a few days
or weeks and others will give you remote access to one -- either
method will work

  - currently it seems to me that AMD Opteron based systems currently
provide the best price/performance ratio. At least that's what I'd
start with; then I'd let my scientific app requirements drive the
actual selection. IBM and Sun both sell great Opteron based systems
and there are many "whitebox" system sellers in both the US and UK.
Remember though that "general" advice is not as good as running a
test/benchmark yourself.  Apple G5's or Intel CPUs may also work well
for you.

  - Your budget is big enough to allow you to be  flexible in your
hardware choice - you can afford a small cluster of inexpensive dual-
CPU machines which is a nice way of dealing with workflows involving
lots of individual computing tasks that can be farmed out to
individual nodes.  -OR- you can spend your money on something like a
single quad-CPU machine packed with lots of memory, speedy storage
and redundant componants.  The cluster vs big-single-box decision
depends on your job requirements.

-chris