[Bioclusters] info needed about network filesystem to use in cluster programming

Michael James Michael.James at csiro.au
Thu Jun 9 03:25:30 EDT 2005

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 03:27 pm, kalyani goli wrote:

> In cluster programming, for sharing the files we can use nfs.
> But nfs  performance is not that interesting.

Too true, we find that when sending many blast jobs
 to the cluster 10 nodes are enough to flatten an NFS server.

At present we copy the blast databases out
 into a 30Gig partition on each node.

With the databases growing in size and number,
 we have reached the limits of this approach.

An NFS client implementation with caching
 would give us good performance,
 virtually infinite database space (30 Gig is a lot of cache)
 and save me the bother of copying
 the updated DBs out each week.

I haven't found the answer yet.
I want to write a reiser4 plug-in to implement it
 but can't get the reiser4 that SuSE supply to accept files yet.

Any suggestions?

michaelj

Michael James                         michael.james at csiro.au
System Administrator                    voice:  02 6246 5040
CSIRO Bioinformatics Facility             fax:  02 6246 5166

Internet Explorer is fine for downloading Firefox,
 but after that....