[Bioclusters] About RSH/SSH in Cluster

Alan Ng alan at aldrich.com.my
Wed Mar 2 20:34:33 EST 2005

>>If I use ssh with key authorization,  could I need to use an empty-password
private key ?

Yes, we do it all the time. And to make the "small" overhead smaller, you can consider using a 512-bit encryption, which is the minimum.

>>Which is better? Which is more efficient ?
Theoretically, rsh would give better performance since it does not encrypt the communication path as everything is sent in plain-text. However, rsh is less stable than ssh (at least from my experience, thus far). Passwordless login will work for a while and then out of the blue, it'll just stop working. Happen to one of our cluster for a VR system not long ago and it had to happen during the training when the big boss of the client was around. We had to use some stupid "network problem (microsoft virus)" excuse to buy time to solve the problem. In the end, we just replace the rsh command with a symbolic link to the ssh command (had to use rsh cause the VR software insists on using it).

Hope this helps!

"Leadership & Life-long Learning"

Alan Ng
Software Development Engineer