[Bioclusters] Memory Usage for Blast - question

Dinanath Sulakhe sulakhe at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 10 13:48:14 EST 2005

Thank You everyone for the suggestions ..

I have decided to use -b 100 option with blastall, and removing -F F option
as we currently don't need that.
and -v 200 option for formatdb.

We are using the  NR (non-redundant database from NCBI) as the DB for blast
which is currently about 1 GB with ~2.3 Million sequences in it, so what
number would be appropriate for "-v" option in formatdb ?

Does fragmenting the DB affect the speed of blast computations?

-Dina