[Bioclusters] mpiblast on SGI Altix

Aaron Darling darling at cs.wisc.edu
Wed Mar 16 12:48:41 EST 2005

Since XFS seems to provide these machines with extremely fast shared
storage I would suggest setting your "Local" directory equal to the
"Shared" storage directory.  Then you can avoid all the fragment copy
overhead.

Also, a google for mpiblast sgi altix
(http://www.google.com/search?q=mpiblast+sgi+altix) reveals what appears
to be some excellent work done by folks at ORNL and NCSU to optimize
mpiblast for the altix architecture.  It may be worthwhile to contact
them for more  info...
They benchmarked version 1.2.1.  It would be interesting to see how
their mpiblast benchmark results improve on an altix with shared and
local set identical and with the --disable-mpi-db flag.

-Aaron