[Bioclusters] notes and pictures from a "wet lab baby-biocluster" project

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Mar 23 10:06:59 EST 2005

Hi Matt,

I've used the KVM daisy chain stuff years ago on IBM rackmounts and
enjoyed the convenience. It was not ordered for this product mostly
because we had no plans to install even a single monitor/keyboard/mouse
setup into the cluster at all. The goal was total headless management
via remote power control and serial console redirection.

The choice of ATA storage was due to the fact that the cluster workflow
was not going to be I/O bound at the fileserver level so high performing
arrays were not needed. In my original plans I was looking at much
higher end products from NetApp and BlueArc (initially a desire for
extreme reliability was a factor) as well as other ATA arrays from
companies like NexSan.

The specific choice of the Apple Xserve RAID was more tactical than
anything else:

  - we've worked on lots of Xserve RAIDs w/ both Apple and Linux hosts

  - Apple's storage product is very price competitive even when compared
to "whitebox" products yet comes with a good spare parts kit and service
plans

  - You can order it easily off a website, no fuss.

  - We have solid relationships with Apple techies, product managers and
the sales folks. We knew if there was a product problem or shipping
delay with the storage we could just "pick up the phone" to sort out any
issues. *{very attractive when working under very tight delivery deadlines}

So no special reason why Apple storage was used other then the fact that
we knew it would suit our needs, could be deployed rapidly and we had
fallback resources on-call if something went awry.

-Chris