[Bioclusters] About an Xserve cluster

Carlos Lopez Nataren natorro at fisica.unam.mx
Wed May 11 14:41:29 EDT 2005

Hello, my name is Carlos López and I'm trying to setup a cluster with
our 10 node Xserve system, I've tried to configure it using the manuals
found in the installation disks but I just can't.

What I'm trying to do is to distribute account information from a master
node (which has 2 ethernet cards) and use NFS to distribute the home
directories of each user (something I think is very easy to do with
Linux, the system we usually use).

The problem for me is, there is no information for such a configuration
in the documentation and I've tried to search over the apple
documentation but it is very frustrating to read every single doc from
Open Directory, File Services, User Management and ARS to do such a
simple task.

I've found very frustrating to configure even the ethernet cards, I use
one real IP address, then I configure the second card to use the
configuration as follows:

IP: 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.0.1
DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

I took this conf from the "Mac OS X Server Getting started" booklet for
version 10.3 or later and it kills the external interface, it just
doesn't work.

I'm very new to BSD so everything is kind of new to me, so I found this
list to ask you for a site concerning this kind of configuration, any
help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Carlos Lopez Nataren <natorro at fisica.unam.mx>
Instituto de Fisica, UNAM