[Bioclusters] Forward of moderated message

Aaron Darling darling at cs.wisc.edu
Wed May 18 14:54:30 EDT 2005

Considering this error output:

>lamnodes: execution:
>-------------------
>n0      silk-node7:2:origin,this_node
>n1      silk-node6:2:
>n2      silk-node5:2:
>n3      silk-node4:2:
>n4      silk-node3:2:
>n5      silk-node2:2:
>n6      silk-node1:2:
>error message:
>-------------
>execution: ./mpiblast.sh on the masternode (silk-node 7 n0)
>Wed May 18 14:29:55 IST 2005
>Sorry, mpiBLAST must be run on 3 or more nodes
>[0] MPI Abort by user Aborting program !
>[0] Aborting program!
>p0_15547:  p4_error: : 0
>Sorry, mpiBLAST must be run on 3 or more nodes
>[0] MPI Abort by user Aborting program !
>[0] Aborting program!
>p0_15548:  p4_error: : 0
>Sorry, mpiBLAST must be run on 3 or more nodes
>[0] MPI Abort by user Aborting program !
>[0] Aborting program!
>p0_5535:  p4_error: : 0
>Sorry, mpiBLAST must be run on 3 or more nodes
>[0] MPI Abort by user Aborting program !
>[0] Aborting program!
>p0_5536:  p4_error: : 0
>It seems that [at least] one of the processes that was started with
>mpirun did not invoke MPI_INIT before quitting (it is possible that
>more than one process did not invoke MPI_INIT -- mpirun was only
>notified of the first one, which was on node n0).
>
>mpirun can *only* be used with MPI programs (i.e., programs that
>invoke MPI_INIT and MPI_FINALIZE).  You can use the "lamexec" program
>to run non-MPI programs over the lambooted nodes.

My understanding is that the Scalable Informatics mpiBLAST RPMs have
been compiled against mpich, whereas you are using LAM/MPI.  mpiblast is
calling mpich's MPI_Init and LAM never gets an MPI_Init call, leading to
the above error.  Either switch to mpich or rebuild mpiBLAST on your
system with LAM.

-Aaron