[Bioclusters] pointers on cluster integration with MS active directory environments

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Aug 23 17:10:53 EDT 2006

Hi folks,

Figured I'd ask here before trying the beowulf list ...

I'm working with an organization that will be deploying a midsized
life science oriented cluster in the next few months. This group is
in the business of making new products, selling products and
discovering/developing new products -- the message from the top down
is that IT is a tool that they need to be able to use effectively but
they don't want to be in the position of designing, managing and
deploying lots of custom/complex or one-off IT solutions.

This means that their IT systems tend to be well designed, extremely
well documented and focused on ease-of-maintenance. In many cases the
solutions are designed with an eye towards handing off the day to day
operation/management to a 3rd party infrastructure/operations
provider or contractor.

The organization already has a robust and well-managed directory
services infrastructure based on MS Windows and Active Directory.
There is *strong* interest in extending this directory service into
the realm of the biocluster so that they don't have to roll out and
manage a totally separate access scheme for cluster users.

I've done enough work in the lab with AD, LDAP and Kerberos to know
that Linux+Kerberos can usually play nicely and authenticate against
Active Directory servers but I have not personally done this further
than simple experimentation on test systems. Getting a single Linux
box to authenticate against the domain is one thing; integrating 80+
linux boxes is something different.

Have people on this list done Active Directory integration with full
clusters? I'm interested in all pointers, war stories, product/vendor
recommendations etc.  that people would be willing to share. Of
particular concern to me is how to bring the directory/authentication
info into the private cluster network so the compute nodes can make
use of it -- some methods involve password synchronization and others
seem to involve bringing an AD server directly onto the cluster
network.  Only a few of the commercial Linux/Active Directory
integration offerings seem to promise "minimal or zero" configuration
changes on the actual domain server (a key point as I doubt we'll be
allowed to mess with the domain servers much themselves).

I'll summarize any responses and can tell y'all how the project went
sometime next year!

Regards,
Chris