[Bioclusters] Admins / node?

Christopher Dwan cdwan at bioteam.net
Thu Feb 2 10:30:28 EST 2006

Kent,

You raise a really valid point.  In my opinion there are two basic
sorts of environment:

1) Your organization includes a research IT core.  You're going to
add a cluster to it.  How many people do you add to that core?  Or,
if you're the core, how many new admins do you "bid" in order to
agree that you can support this new system?

2) Everyone else.

My feeling is that group 2 will require more person hours than group
1, since there are a lot of baseline networking / facilities / IT /
account management responsibilities that come along with any big
computing resource.

-Chris Dwan