[Bioclusters] SGI Altix benchmarking whitepaper

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Feb 7 05:01:56 EST 2006

On 6 Feb 2006, at 3:19 pm, Chris Dagdigian wrote:

>> Results of the tests revealed that the SGI Altix 330 using shared
>> memory and unmatched I/O throughput achieved superior
>> performance and ran faster than twice the number of cores in
>> comparable AMD dual core Opteron-based systems.

They also chose fairly slow Opterons (2.2GHz).  They've chosen a set
of applications (FP-intense MPI codes) which are bound to favour
Altix-like architectures, and the Itanium2.  Plus the observations
others have already made.  For integer based and embarrassingly
parallel workloads where the interconnect doesn't matter so much, the
difference will be much smaller, and probably in Opteron's favour.

But all that aside, I still want to ask the question:  how much more
does the 16-way Altix 330 cost than the 8-way dual core Opteron?
What's the price-performance?

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts
Informatics Systems Group, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute