[Bioclusters] Benchmarks on a dual core Xeon

Christopher Dwan cdwan at bioteam.net
Fri Jan 20 12:57:38 EST 2006

Joe,

Good catch. Sorry to be confusing.

It's pretty clear that on NT, the results are cached in memory.  I
think that I mention that a little further down in the same
section.   For WGS, a much larger dataset, it was certainly bound by
I/O.  A clearer way to say it would be "BLAST can be bound by I/O
unless available RAM exceeds the space needed for the indices."

After the test period was complete, we had the chance to crank the
memory on the machine all the way up to 32GB.  At that level, even
WGS scaled like NT, so it's certainly a memory thing.

-Chris