[Bioclusters] Authentication for clusters

Luigi Manna manna at college.usc.edu
Tue Jun 27 14:51:06 EDT 2006

<8d71b5680606270709y361f344fmf037ec69f729bda0 at mail.gmail.com>,
miedward at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello Luigi,
>
> I recently set up a system like the one you describe (ours works
with
> XP, OSX, Linux, and Solaris) and after researching I decided to go
> with OpenLDAP and Samba.  I personally never found a seamless
> comercial solution I was happy with and at least with the open
source
> tools you weren't dealing with yet another black box.

   Samba + OpenLDAP last time I checked was very difficult to implement
with little management tools .. some sort of arcane art !
One of the Samba developers during a a Samba tutorials actually showed
us how complicated this is. Is your solution using certificates and SSL
? Someone suggested using Mac OS X, did you look into that ?

> Since you asked on this list, were you looking for a solution that
is
> going to be scalable to a large cluster, or is this just for your
> servers and workstations?

  I need a solution scalable to a 64 node cluster and maybe more even
though I think 2 LDAP/AD/eDirectory/ would suffice. The solution needs
to be also easy to manage since personnel is scarce.

Thanks,

Luigi--