[Bioclusters] Linux on Xserve, anyone?

Lee Watkins lwatkins at cidr.jhmi.edu
Mon Aug 6 17:52:30 EDT 2007

Not much traffic here lately, must be meetings and summer doldrums...

So here's a question to which I can't seem to find an answer:  Has
anyone successfully installed any version of Linux on the latest
Intel-based quad-core (2 x dual-core "Woodcrest") Xserve boxes from
Apple?  I keep hearing/reading that people (somebody, somewhere) have
done so but can't track down an actual person who has (our Apple
engineer says the same thing - lots of people who know a friend who's
done it or heard of somebody who's done it but nobody who can provide
details).  Not a MacBook or a Mac Pro, but an Xserve. We have a stack of
these and the programmers around here would just as soon stick with the
Linux they know and love regardless of how swell OS X is.

People claim that it should be straightforward using elilo (linux boot
loader) but I have yet to see anyone say "this is exactly how I did it
and it works on Xserve."  The good folks at Ubuntu say they'd be happy
to have their engineers help us try make it work - for a price, of
course.  These Xserves are pretty nice, compact and fairly inexpensive
servers that could make a decent linux cluster.  More people might buy
them if they had the flexibility to run linux in addition to OS X, so it
doesn't seem like Apple's opposed to it, just not doing anything
actively to help (since they want to push OS X Leopard).

Any leads or actual experiences would be much appreciated. In the
meantime we've downloaded the beta version of VMWare Fusion to try it
(since we already use VMWare in various places anyway) and pre-ordered a
couple copies. At $39, what's not to like, esp. since it claims to
support the dual-core architecture.

Cheers,
Lee

--

Lee Watkins, Jr.
Director of Bioinformatics

lwatkins at jhu.edu | www.cidr.jhmi.edu
410-550-7042 ofc | 410-903-2989 urgent_only