[Bioclusters] Help needed for catch the time used by clustalw

Christopher Dwan cdwan at bioteam.net
Wed Jan 3 11:11:23 EST 2007

For "rough and ready" measurements, the command you are looking for
is "time":

NAME
      time -- time command execution

SYNOPSIS
      time [-lp] utility

DESCRIPTION
      The time utility executes and times utility.  After the utility
finishes,
      time writes the total time elapsed, the time consumed by system
overhead,
      and the time used to execute utility to the standard error
stream.  Times
      are reported in seconds.

For example:

backdraft:~ cdwan$ time sleep 10

real    0m10.228s
user    0m0.001s
sys     0m0.007s

This means that my command "sleep 10" ran for 10.228 seconds of wall
clock time, and that it used almost no actual system time.

There are more accurate and more complex ways of measuring execution
time, but "time" works well, most of the time.

-Chris Dwan