[Bioclusters] mpiblast w/ SGE problem?

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Oct 18 17:26:37 EDT 2007

The biggest problem I see in that job script is that you are pointing
mpiblast at a manually generated MPI machines file rather than the
custom one that would get created by the pe_starter method in your
parallel environment.

When the SGE scheduler creates your custom machines file (telling
mpiblast where to place the tasks) the location is here:

$TMPDIR/machines

So your mpirun command would have to contain:

mpirun -np $NSLOTS -machinefile $TMPDIR/machines <rest of command ..>

There is no point integrating a MPI app into Grid Engine unless the
Grid Engine scheduler gets to pick which machines get the parallel
task(s) :)

I also don't see a "#$ -pe <parallel environment>" request within the
SGE job script; were you requesting one via the qsub command?

The other thing to look out for is the format of the machines file
that SGE creates -- it may or may not include the fully qualified
domain name and it may or may not be in the exact format that your
particular MPI installation expects. You can control the format of
the machines file by just looking at the source code for the script
that is being run as the pe_starter method within the configuration
of your parallel environment.

-Chris