[Bioclusters] Recommendations for building a cluster

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Fri Oct 19 14:02:45 EDT 2007

Hello,

Can you be more specific about your application mix?

In a general sense for "genome-wide analyses" means that you'll
likely be using some very very memory hungry applications. In that
scenario it may make sense to purchase fewer machines but load them
up with 8-12GB of physical memory. You will need to have at least a
rough idea of your application mix before you can figure out where it
is best to spend your budget on.

The current general duty sweet spot for life science cluster nodes in
absence of application benchmarks seems to be something like this:

  - 1U rackmount
  - pair of dual core 64 bit CPUs
  - 4-8GB RAM
  - a few hundred gigs of SATA or cheap IDE disk for use as local
scratch space

You'll tweak the above system based on your application mix.

For instance, now that Intel is shipping the quad-core CPUs you may
find it better to own fewer quad core systems but load them up with
as much memory as you can afford. This is where knowing your
application requirements becomes very helpful.

Keep in mind that you'll need a big and fast storage solution. The
shared storage will likely be the most expensive thing you buy.

Operating system is a personal choice. Most bioclusters run Linux
because of the availability of tools and applications. Most codes are
being developed and supported on Linux these days. The type of Linux
OS is a personal preference -- there are people on this list who use
Debian, Gentoo, RedHat Enterprise, Fedora Core, Centos, Scientific
Linux, Suse  etc. etc.

My default Linux flavor right now is Centos (www.centos.org) because
my cluster building is biased towards minimizing the amount of work
needed to keep the system running. With Centos I get a Redhat clone
with an OS supported life span (patches and security updates) that
exceeds the production life of my cluster. If I chose Fedora I'd
likely have to push a whole new OS into the cluster within a year or so.

Anyway if you have more questions on Linux OS of choice for
clustering you may want to take a peek at the beowulf at beowulf.org
mailing list archives for the past few weeks -- they've been debating
it off an on for a long time now and there are many great and nuanced
answers to be found in the replies.

My $.02 of course

-Chris