[Bioclusters] mid range storage solutions

Bonnie Hurwitz hurwitz at cshl.edu
Fri Sep 28 14:42:27 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for mid-range
storage.  We need to purchase a storage server for our cluster to act
as a mySQL database server that has around 32 terabytes of disk space
utilizing Raid10.  Also, we are looking for fast disks and a 10-20Gb
card since this is meant for a database server and we want to try to
minimize resource contention from writing to the db server from the
nodes.  We currently have 500 nodes on our cluster.

What are people currently using for similar database servers?  What
has the performance been like when writing to the databases from
compute nodes?

What other options are out there?

Also, we need to minimize rack space.  We currently have about 7U of
space we can use at the moment.

-Bonnie