[Bioclusters] First Announcement NN2008
aao at fe.up.pt
Thu Feb 7 04:49:26 EST 2008
Apologies for multiple copies.
We appreciate if you can forward this Announcement to potential candidates.
SUMMER SCHOOL NN2008
NEURAL NETWORKS in CLASSIFICATION, REGRESSION and DATA MINING
July 7-11, 2008, Porto, Portugal
<http://www.nn.isep.ipp.pt> http://www.nn.isep.ipp.pt email:
<mailto:nn-2008 at isep.ipp.pt> nn-2008 at isep.ipp.pt
The Summer School will be held at Porto, Portugal, jointly organized by the
Polytechnic School of Engineering of Porto (ISEP) and the Faculty of
Engineering, Porto University (FEUP).
Following last year experience, this year's edition also includes a
POSTER/WORKSHOP SESSION providing a discussion forum where the participants
can obtain peer guidance for their projects.
* Alexander Zien (Research Scientist at the Friedrich Miescher Laboratory,
* Carlos Soares (Assistant Professor, Faculty of Economy, University of
* Christopher Bishop (Deputy Managing Director at Microsoft Research
Laboratory in Cambridge and Chair of Computer Science at the University of
* Joaquim Marques de Sá (Full Professor, Dept. Electr. and Comp.
Engineering, Fac. of Engineering, University of Porto, Portugal)
* Jorge Santos(Assistant Professor, Engineering Polythecnic Institute,
* Mark Embrecht (Associate Professor, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, RPI
Troy, New York, U.S.A.)
* Noelia Sánchez Maroño (Assistant Professor, Coruna University, Spain)
* Paulo Cortez (Assistant Professor, University of Minho, Portugal)
* Petia Georgieva (Assistant Professor, University of Aveiro, Portugal)
* Yann Guermeur ((Scientific Director of the Laboratoire Lorrain de
Recherche en Informatique et ses Applications, France)
Neural networks (NN) have become a very important tool in classification and
regression tasks. The applications are nowadays abundant, e.g. in the
engineering, economy and biology areas. The Summer School on NN is dedicated
to explain relevant NN paradigms, namely multilayer perceptrons (MLP),
radial basis function networks (RBF) and support vector machines (SVM) used
for classification and regression tasks, illustrated with applications to
real data. Specific topics are also presented, namely Multi-Valued and UB
Neurons , Functional Networks , MLP's with Entropic Criteria and Data Mining
Classes include practical sessions with appropriate software tools. The
trainee has, therefore, the opportunity to apply the taught concepts and
become conversant with a broad range of NN topics and applications. A
special workshop session will provide a discussion forum where the
participants can obtain peer guidance for their projects.
A preliminary programme and further information about the classes are
available at the school webpage ( <http://www.nn.isep.ipp.pt>
Early Registration: 18 May 2008
Poster Submission: 15 June 2008
Hotel booking : 15 June 2008
Summer School: 7-11 July 2008
All participants are required to register prior to the start of the School -
until the June 15 - even if you choose to pay the late registration fee at
the registration desk.
Please note that only a LIMITED number of participants can be accepted.
In order to attend the School you must fill in the registration form,
available at the School web page. Please note that if you have any guests
who would like to take part in the social programme, you must register them
as well, by filling in the corresponding field in the registration form.
The registration fee for participants amounts to:
- Early registration fee (paid before the 18th of May)
* 350 Euro (students, ISEP and FEUP staff)
* 400 Euro (all other participants)
- Late registration fee (paid after the 18th of May)
* 400 Euro (students, ISEP and FEUP staff)
* 450 Euro (all other participants)
The registration fee includes:
* school package (manuscripts, lecture's notes, CD)
* coffee breaks
* daily lunch
* welcome reception
* school banquet
NOTE: The registration fee for those who attended previous editions amounts
to 25/30 euro per lecture and includes the school package and coffee-breaks.
Please, contact the LOC for further details.
LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE (LOC)
- Helena Brás Silva - Assistant Professor, Dept. Mathematics, ISEP, Portugal
- Jorge M. Santos - Assistant Professor, Dept. Mathematics, ISEP, Portugal
- Rui Chibante - Assistant Professor, Dept. Mathematics, ISEP, Portugal
Local Organizing Committee (LOC) - Summer School NN2008
A/C Jorge M. Santos
Departamento de Matemática
Instituto Superior de Engenharia do Porto
Rua Dr. António Bernardino de Almeida 431
4200-072 PORTO / PORTUGAL
Email: nn-2008 at isep.ipp.pt
Ms. Gabriela Afonso
Email: gafonso at fe.up.pt
Prof. Joaquim Marques de Sá
Tel. +351 225081828 - Email: jmsa at fe.up.pt
More information about the Bioclusters