[Bioclusters] SMP system for bioinformatics apps

John Van Workum john at tticluster.com
Sat Sep 20 10:25:16 EDT 2008

The new Harpertown Xeons, when used in conjunction with the 5300 or
5400 chipset, vs. new Opterons are showing better overall performance
comparing to earlier generation Xeon vs. Opteron. Our file storage
server vendor went from using Opterons to using the Harpertown Xeon
because of cost and performance. If you build yourself, I recommend
Supermicro motherboards. We have a number of Supermicro dual socket,
quad core Xeon machines available if you wish to run some benchmarks.
Email me offline. If you are looking for a vendor, Scalable
Informatics is a good place to start.

Regards,

John Van Workum
Tsunamic Technologies Inc.