[Biococoa-dev] Base test

Alexander Griekspoor mek at mekentosj.com
Fri Aug 13 14:38:23 EDT 2004

> I was aware of the foundation functions that take strings for
> arguments and return selectors/classes.  Unfortunately, if we’re going
> to use singletons, we’d need to call Class methods to create them, not
> instance methods, and I’m not aware of any mechanism for calling a
> selector on a Class.

Oops, see the problem now. I can come quite far by getting the class
method's location:
	NSString *str = @"callMe"; // example string, normally from plist
	class_getClassMethod([BCSymbol class], selector);    // this should
get you a pointer to the method

The big problem here and where I get stuck is how to "invoke" this
method on the class?
Here is where my knowledge and background let me down ;-(

>  One option that has occurred to me is to create a generic
> “baseGenerator”, which you could instantiate, and then call the
> selectors on in order to generate all the classes.  Not ideal, but
> functional, and the implementation would be hidden from the end users,
> so they’d have to download the code in order to discover how inelegant
> we are ;)

I guess that would be the best option then, a factory object. Anyone a
brilliant idea?
                    AIM: mekentosj at mac.com
                    E-mail: a.griekspoor at nki.nl
                Web: http://www.mekentosj.com