[Biococoa-dev] mass calculator bug

John Timmer jtimmer at bellatlantic.net
Sat Aug 28 13:25:45 EDT 2004

> On Aug 28, 2004, at 11:13 AM, John Timmer wrote:
>
>>  And please fix my experimentation with the adenosine @"A" -> 'A'
>> conversion.
>
> Now I look closer at that code:
>
>      NSDictionary *tempDict = [baseDefinitions objectForKey: @"A"];
>      if ( tempDict != nil  && [tempDict isKindOfClass: [NSDictionary
> class]] ) {
>          adenosineRepresentation = [[BCNucleotideDNA alloc]
> initWithSymbol: [@"A" characterAtIndex: 0]];
>          [baseDefinitions removeObjectForKey: @"A"];
>      }
>
> Why not write this as one line:
>
> adenosineRepresentation = [[BCNucleotideDNA alloc] initWithSymbol:'A'];
>
> I don't understand the function of tempDict, and the removeObjectForKey
> line.

The use of tempDict is just basic error trapping.  If the file's corrupted,
they key could be absent or malformed, so I check whether it's present and a
valid NSDictionary before trying to use it.

If we were being really careful, I'd have an "else" statement that threw an
exception, but I can't really decide how best to define exceptions at this
point.

JT