[Biococoa-dev] mass calculator bug

Alexander Griekspoor mek at mekentosj.com
Mon Aug 30 01:47:36 EDT 2004

>> This is the other example which triggered my safety vs speed email.
>> WE provide the basic plist, so it should work period. I can see two
>> reason why it couldn't. First, the download/installation went terribly
>> wrong, in case this probably isn't the only thing broken and
>> everything
>> goes bananas. Second, the developer (or user) has tinkered/changed our
>> plist, which he obviously did wrong. Why then save his *ss? He should
>> simply repair/adjust the plist before shipping his app. I don't see a
>> reason for the error checking code. To black and white?
>> Alex
>

> Here, I'd argue that we'd do a service to developers to throw an
> exception
> that was informative.  If just one nucleotide got corrupted in the
> .plist,
> it'd be a nightmare to figure out why the app was crashing (especially
> if it
> was an ambiguous one that wasn't used often).  Even a good NSLog would
> be
> better than nothing.

To black and white indeed then, again let's do the checking as a
service where speed/memory is no issue (like here), and spin off error
checking where speed/memory is an issue in separate methods. That way
we provide the service, but don't make it obligatory.

                   E-mail: a.griekspoor at nki.nl
	        AIM: mekentosj at mac.com
               Web: http://www.mekentosj.com

                  EnzymeX - To cut or not to cut