Fwd: [Biococoa-dev] more ramblings

Alexander Griekspoor mek at mekentosj.com
Thu Nov 18 17:03:11 EST 2004

Again! Man I got to remember to send my emails to the list as well....

Begin doorgestuurd bericht:

Van: Alexander Griekspoor <mek at mekentosj.com>
Datum: 18 november 2004 21:32:44 GMT+01:00
Aan: John Timmer <jtimmer at bellatlantic.net>
Onderwerp: Antw.: [Biococoa-dev] more ramblings

>  Anyway, to stir up more controversy around here, I had always
> envisioned something along the following structure:
>
>  Sequence bundle
>  (groups related sequences)
>  Sequence wrapper
>  (holds features, notes, etc.)
>  Sequence

Yes, my idea exactly! Imagine a multi-fasta file, wouldn't it be
fantastic to initialize such a sequence bundle directly from it? Or
write one out to disk in fasta format.... Also, alignments could be a
perfect subclass of a sequence bundle object (one that only in addition
has to store the interrelated positions... Awesome!

>  The reason being that I see features as being abstractions, not
> inherent to any type of sequence.
Yep, absolutely agree. We have feared to approach this problem a bit in
the past, but this should be the underlying idea to keep in mind.

>  They’re mostly a bit of information and a range it’s relevant to.
>  There are some exceptions to this – for example, a phosphorylation
> site changes the MW of a protein – but they are largely exceptions.
I see some discussions already on the horizons rapidly popping up (you
should have stopped with the previous sentence when everything was
still perfect ;-)

>  These exceptions are going to be difficult to handle regardless – how
> to tell if a site is or isn’t glycosylated is going to be very context
> dependent.  The majority of features (ORFs, kinase domains,
> restriction sites, etc.) don’t require that sort of heavy lifting.
I guess, I'm gonna read some emails in which we discussed this
previously, we have been talking about this.

                    AIM: mekentosj at mac.com
                    E-mail: a.griekspoor at nki.nl
                Web: http://www.mekentosj.com

       Microsoft is not the answer,
       Microsoft is the question,
       NO is the answer

                   AIM: mekentosj at mac.com
                    E-mail: a.griekspoor at nki.nl
                Web: http://www.mekentosj.com

	Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows
	because most people use Windows, is like saying
	that all other restaurants serve food that is
	inferior to McDonalds