[Biococoa-dev] Subclassing BCSequence really needed?

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 22 22:12:37 EDT 2004

Hi,

(Trying to get some life back into the group :-D

I have been thinking a lot recently (again) if it is really needed to
subclass BCSequence. One of the things that keeps bugging me for
instance is the duplicated code in BCNucleotideDNA and BCNucleotideRNA
for getting the subsequences. Somehow it doesn't seem the most
efficient approach, and also not applying the OOP paradigms. One of the
things that is central in OOP is trying to avoid code duplication. I
also have been thinking a lot too to see what would be a better (if
any) approach for these kind of situations. We could for instance put
the code to get a range in a wrapper class. If we just use a
BCSequence, the same code to get a range can be used for RNA, DNA, and
Protein. Similarly, for other sequence charcteristics, or for reversing
and translating a sequence.

But if we only use a BCSequence, how do we know if we are dealing with
a Protein, DNA, etc? Well, we already are using the BCSequenceType
variable, which the wrapper could check for. Or, as discussed before,
we implement Alphabets (symbolsets) which are then used by the wrapper
to identify the type of sequence. Both approaches will also reduce the
need for testing each symbol if it is really part of a Protein, DNA,
etc.

As a snippet we could use code like this to create a new DNA:

BCSymbolSet	*dnaSet	=	[[BCSymbolSet alloc] initWithCharacterSet: DNA];
// global

BCSequence	*myDNA	=	[[BCSequence alloc] initWithString;
@"aaatttccctttggg] usingSymbolSet: dnaSet];

An addiitonal advantage of this approach is that when we think of a new
cool feature to add to BioCocoa, we only have to put it in a wrapper
class, instead of a slightly modified version in each of the subclasses
of BCSequence. This is much easier to maintain, and also less prone to
errors.

I know that I have brought this up before, but I think it is important
that we discuss it a little bit more, before BioCocoa expands further.

cheers,