[Biococoa-dev] Subclassing BCSequence really needed?

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 28 22:00:54 EDT 2004

On Oct 23, 2004, at 6:10 PM, Koen van der Drift wrote:

> As far as I know there aren't any other examples in BioCocoa right
> now, which is why I used the subrange code as an example. But there
> might be similar situations in the future while we expand BioCocoa. I
> now do remember it's on your todo list to merge this code for all
> sequences (including proteins I guess). In no means I was trying to
> throw the whole structure out, I was thinking aloud how we could
> improve the structure. We both agree that there is a need for
> improvement, only still differ on how. It might well be a good idea to
> implement both solutions, so there's more than one way to do it. I
> will look into that.

To keep my promise, I just added a new class BCFindSequence, that can
be used to find a subsequence (duh), similarly to John's
rangeOfSubsequence methods. In fact, I copied most of that code :-) I
have not done the multiple ranges yet, because I wanted to see how this
works first. The class has a member strict, that can be set if needed,
default is YES.
It compiles fine, but I have not yet tried to test it, we don't have a
test example right now. Let me know what you think.

Also, the symbol counting code is now moved to a separate class,
BCSymbolCounter. Both classes reside in a new folder, BCSequenceTools
in BCTools.

cheers,