[Biococoa-dev] Optimizations

John Timmer jtimmer at bellatlantic.net
Tue Sep 7 08:38:24 EDT 2004

> This is impressive stuff John, well done! My experience with many of
> the CF classes is a drama, but I might start looking at it as well.
> Where speed is a bottleneck, I have absolutely no problem with these
> kind of optimizations in internal implementations. I do propose to add
> some extra lines of comments though, to describe a bit what you do and
> why you choose to use the CF classes there (for poor soles like me ;-)

Incidentally, one of the cool things about this is that the source of
CoreFoundation is available in Darwin.  You can actually take a look at the
implementation and decide if there's any more speed you can squeeze out of
things by implementing things yourself, or if you'd just do what Apple's
doing already.  It's also funny to see code like this:

#if defined(DEBUG)
    __CFGenericValidateType(array, __kCFArrayTypeID);
    __CFArrayValidateRange(array, range, __PRETTY_FUNCTION__);
#endif

I haven't gone into finding "__PRETTY_FUNCTION__", but I am curious...

By the way, is the alignment guy the same Serge Cohen who's been making the
Cocoa-MySQL adapter?

Cheers,

JT