[Biococoa-dev] GNUStep Compatibility (was: [Biococoa-dev] Optimizations)

Jim Balhoff james.balhoff at duke.edu
Tue Sep 7 17:40:51 EDT 2004

On Sep 7, 2004, at 5:27 PM, Alexander Griekspoor wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Nice to hear from you again, seems you're well on you way for your
> graduation!
> For me, GNUstep compatibility is not high on my list, but perhaps the
> others think it's of more importance. I could imagine that at least
> marketing wise it seems nice that you can say you potentially address
> a far larger public. Although, I doubt if that extends practically at
> all. But I would like to hear especially Peter's comments on the issue
> as he's the one advertising GNUstep compatibility right now ;-)

I think you're right, the number of people using GNUstep, in particular
to write bio-software, is probably very tiny.  Even in comparison to
such people using Cocoa/MacOS X.  But I wanted to make sure it was a
conscious decision.

I have used GNUstep on Linux and had no problems with Foundation.
AppKit worked pretty well, but there were a few quirks (but I think
they've made tons of progress in the past several months since I've
used it).  However, there is no support for some of the newer additions
such as bindings (that I know of).

> Cheers and good luck with the graduation!

Thanks!

James P. Balhoff
Dept. of Biology
Duke University