[Biococoa-dev] the decorator pattern

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 10 21:19:29 EDT 2004

Hi,

One of the many software design patterns is the decorator pattern.
Basically the idea is to add additional functionality to an object
without subclassing. Usually the decoration takes place during runtime,
and therefore is dynamic, in contrast to subclassing which is static.
Real examples are adding a border to a shape in a drawing program, or a
style to a text (bold, italics).

So maybe we should think about using the decorator pattern in BioCocoa
to add temporarily additional functionality to existing classes. For
instance a modification, annotation, or digest info.  After the
discussion with Alex about the subclasses after a digest, I still had a
feeling that all those subclasses aren't really necessary.

Anyway, I will have to read more about this, to see how it exactly is
implemented (most sample code and tutorials I found is in Java and very
short), and if it is really useful for BioCocoa. I will post later if I
know more.

Why do you guys think?

cheers,