[Biococoa-dev] BCNucleotideRNA

John Timmer jtimmer at bellatlantic.net
Thu Sep 23 07:10:48 EDT 2004

> I'm afraid a few of these things are indeed attributable to all changes
> made in John's vacation. It's a pity there's not a single good log of
> changes from what I did, but that was impossible given the fact I had
> to do a complete new import to get the new folder hierarchy.. I guess
> we just all three have to check on regular basis what should still be
> changed...
Part of that was my over-excitement about checking in all the new code.  If
I worked more carefully over the course of a few days, I'm sure I could have
done a better job.  The downside is that things probably wouldn't have built
during that time because of partial class implementations, etc.  Does anyone
have a preference for prioritizing these sorts of situations?  Careful
coding with build failure vs. a bit more sloppy with things always working?

> uridine  (uri·dine) ([umacr]r¢[ibreve]-d[emacr]n)  a pyrimidine
> nucleoside, uracil linked by its N1 nitrogen to the C1 carbon of
> ribose. It is a component of ribonucleic acid, and its nucleotides
> participate in the biosynthesis of polysaccharides and some
> polysaccharide-containing compounds. Symbol U.
>
> So is it uridine or uracil ? I think uracil as we're talking about the
> complete nucleotide right, not only the base...
> That would be my daily portion of nitpicking ;-)
Actually, your decision is right, but you misread the definition.  Uridine
== uracil + sugar.  I tried to keep that consistent for all bases.

> In your nucleotideRNA class, you take the nucleotides.plist and then
> cleverly replace everything T for U. But next, in the actual
> instantiating you do this:
Yes, that was me being sloppy during the "oh damn, I messed up all the
imports" stage, where I went back and copied a very early version of the
file.  I'll go fix that now.....

An unrelated aside:  does anyone know of an example of an ObjC class with
detailed comments where headerdoc can do its magic properly?  I'd love to
find out what I'm doing wrong there, but can't figure out how to google for
such a beast....

JT