[Biococoa-dev] Compilation warnings with tools

John Timmer jtimmer at bellatlantic.net
Tue Feb 8 10:55:13 EST 2005

>>> Or have one weak typed method as I suggested in a previous post, and test
>>> for
>>> the type in that method. Then either return an empty or useful array.
>>
>> So, you mean 'BCAbstractSequence', right?
>> I am completely OK with that! (I just wanted to make sure that whatever we
>> choose will please everybody).
>
> Sorry, have to chime in here - I'm not!  I thought the idea here was that
> the convenience methods, which would be present only in classes that
> actually should use that method, would be strictly typed.  That way, anybody
> as uptight as I am can be using strict classes and have access to methods
> with strict signatures in them.

Just an aside here - I'm assuming that since we aren't getting rid of the
subclasses, then it's probably worth my putting in a BCSequenceNucleotide to
hold a bunch of the convenience methods that will be common to the DNA and
RNA classes?

I should also explicitly state that, as I want the convenience methods, I'll
put them in.  One thing that would help here is if the tools headers were
well commented - last I looked, some of them were and some weren't.  This
may have changed, but I need to run Tiger for a while to get a project
moving, and I don't want to risk incompatibilities by accessing CVS from
that environment.

JT