[Biococoa-dev] Subclass organization

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 24 19:51:27 EST 2005

On Feb 24, 2005, at 3:23 PM, Charles PARNOT wrote:

>> Again, I'm very nervous about providing a method that returns nil
>> (and thus
>> increases the chances of terminal bugs) to the amino acids, which
>> have no
>> reason to ever support this.
>>
>> JT
>>

> I have not had time to go down to that level of details, yet, but it
> could be better that the BCSymbol superclass responds to the message
> (even if not in the header). It could return 'self' instead, though. I
> agree that would be safer.

By lack of a BCNucleotideSymbol class, I put the complements method in
BCSymbol for the time being. You can move them to the
BCNucleotideSymbol class, but I also like Charles' suggestion to let
the method return self in such cases. The same can be said for other
methods that only work on certain symbols or sequences, eg translation.