[Biococoa-dev] Digest tool

Alexander Griekspoor mek at mekentosj.com
Sun Feb 27 07:55:00 EST 2005

Hmm, in principle there are many similarities so yes, we should try to
make it work with DNA as well (don't know much about RNA cutting
enzymes and their specificity...
Don't want to sound to commercial (well, it's freeware anyway), but
perhaps you can download our program EnzymeX
(http://www.mekentosj.com/enzymex ) and play a bit with it. Also, Tom
added in the help files quite some info on how these enzymes work.
Finally, we have added a piece on our website about it:
http://www.mekentosj.com/enzymex/science.html
Some potential pitfalls we have to foresee in the method:
- DNA has two strands and enzymes can both generate blunt ends and
overhangs (cut different position in the forward and reverse strand,
see the picture of the enzyme sequence in enzymeX).
- Far more than is the case in peptide cleavage, ambiguity place a
major role in DNA restriction enzymes: i.e. enzymes like EaeI that
recognises: y^GGCCr
- DNA can be circular, meaning that one has to account for potential
cuts in the connecting segment if circularity is the case
- Later on we can add the problem of methylation sensitivity, but
that's way more advanced.
I know John has created a DNA digestion plugin for 4Peaks, so he can
tell you more probably. I'll send you the source off-list...
Cheers,
Alex

                   AIM: mekentosj at mac.com
                    E-mail: a.griekspoor at nki.nl
                Web: http://www.mekentosj.com

	Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows
	because most people use Windows, is like saying
	that all other restaurants serve food that is
	inferior to McDonalds