[Biococoa-dev] More on BCSymbolSets

John Timmer jtimmer at bellatlantic.net
Sun Feb 27 22:26:17 EST 2005

Okay, looking at things, we definitely have to try to make things a bit more
consistent in terms of the init methods.  I think they're mostly holdovers
from before amino acids had ambiguous members.

I think the idea of using a symbol set to limit the possible options for
initializing a sequence is a good one, provided we make the process very
streamlined.  The class itself looks to be good in that regard.

I've got a couple of ideas on the implementation.  One idea that suggests
itself is to have a BCSequencType variable for the symbol set - that way the
sequence being initialized could pick up its sequence type from the set it
gets passed during initialization.

The other thing I'd do is take the methods like "baseForSymbol" and
"aaForSymbol" and formalize them to be a single selector, like
"symbolForCharacter".  That way, you could call the same selector on any
class.  This would allow you to make code that looked something like this
(given passedString and passedSet as the arguments):
TheClass = [passedSet anyObject];
TheChar = [passedString characterAtIndex: loopCounter];
TheSymbol = [theClass symbolForCharacter: theChar];
If ( [passedSet containsObject: theSymbol] )
    // add it to our sequence

If we're making symbol sets this central to sequence creation, though, I'd
make a lot of combinations, rather than the two we have for each type.  We
don't want any of the commonly used sets more than a single call away.
Basically, I'd do strict, ambiguous, those with gap, those with undefined,
those with both, etc.  We may also want to make the standard ones
singletons.

This sound like the sort of thing you were looking to do?

JT