[Biococoa-dev] BioCocoa invitation

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 8 16:20:00 EST 2005

Hi guys,

I wrote this 'invitation' that we can send out to possible new
developers. Let me know if you think this is ok, and if I missed
anything.

cheers,

developers of the BioCocoa project, an open source framework for
reading, writing, and manipulating various biological sequences.
Originally the framework was aimed also at GNUStep and only focused on
reading and writing sequences, which is still the official version that
you can download from the website at
http://bioinformatics.org/biococoa/. A few months ago a couple of mac
loving bioscientists joined the project, and it was transformed in a
Cocoa-only framework, and extended to be able to do other things with
sequences than reading and writing. You could say that it is trying to
be the Cocoa/Obj-C sibling of BioJava, BioPerl, etc.

So far we have created a set of new classes, that we believe should be
a solid base for extending the whole framework. However, we still have
many discussions  what would be the best design. For instance,
currently we have a core class BCSequence, with various subclasses for
DNA, RNA, and proteins. We have had many discussions whether we
actually should subclass BCSequence (eg BioCocoa doesn't subclass it's
main sequence class). Recently we have been discussing if maybe we
should use the class cluster design for the various sequence classes,

At the moment we are only a small group of developers, mainly with a
scientific background. Based on the description on the CocoaDev
webpage, it seems you could be a valuable addition to the BioCocoa
project. So we were wondering if you would be interested in joining the
development team, and the discussions on our mailing list (see
http://bioinformatics.org/project/?group_id=318 for more info).

Feel free to have a look at the code and the current discussions, and
let me or one of the other developers know if you are interested. We
look forward to your reply,

On behalf of the BioCocoa Team, best regards,

Koen van der Drift