[Biococoa-dev] BCSymbolList replacement

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 31 19:16:52 EST 2005

Great news, Charles. I look forward to your commits.

> Before commiting, I just wanted to check one last time, because I had
> to modify ~30 classes to replace the 'symbolList'  namings with
> 'sequence', also in method names (several 'Find and Replace' were
> necessary). The compilation is fine and everything seems to work OK. I
> don't know if you want to add a tag before such major refactoring
> (this is probably ~ the same as when you added the BCSymbolList,
> Koen?).

Actually, I didn't tag it (don't know how to do that with Xcode :).
Alex did another reorganization a while ago, so you might want to check
with him what would be the easiest procedure. However, since we all
agree on this change (I hope we still do after we see what you did to
the code ;-), I would say just commit it. It's in CVS, so we always can
revert certain changes.

> I suppose such major refactoring is bound to happen at early stages of
> a project, and are a good thing? :-)

I guess they happen a lot, but am not sure if they are a good thing so
early. However, all of us were/are pretty new at writing a framework
with a group of developers, so we have a good excuse. Usually major
changes (should) happen after a few stable releases. BioJava is
currently in the progress of a complete rewrite. I am glad I'm not in
that project!

cheers,