Subject: [Biococoa-dev] New Structure for BioCocoa part II

Philipp Seibel biococoa at bioworxx.com
Sun Jul 3 08:52:15 EDT 2005

Hey Alex,

nice to hear something from the netherlands :-).

Am 03.07.2005 um 13:46 schrieb Alexander Griekspoor:

> - The class cluster design of sequence objects. Is it still
> necessary, is it correct, flexible? As said, phil and I had
> problems with it, and phil was not sure if it was implemented fully
> correct, but he'll chime in I guess

There is a structural failure in our implementation, the user thinks
he will get a BCSequence object, when he calls a init or convenient
method of BCSequence, but he gets a BCAbstractSequence. So we have to
fix the inheritance model.

> . Purely from complexity towards novel users (and people like me
> who had to get back in again ;-), I would like to see it disappear
> if possible.

thanks for mention the class cluster problem. Here is a short
description of my understanding of a class cluster:

A class cluster like NSNumber is intransparent to the user of the
framework. The user just knows the NSNumber class, but the
functionality and content of the class depends on the constructor and
initialization of the class. NSDoubleNumber, NSIntegerNumber etc have
all private headers, so the user doesn't know the class exists.

---> In our implementation is all visible to the user... (public
headers for BCSequenceProtein etc.)

I think we should go for a simple superclass class structure not to
confuse the users of the framework.

cheers,

Phil