[Biococoa-dev] BCSequenceRecord

Alexander Griekspoor mek at mekentosj.com
Sat Jul 9 14:36:15 EDT 2005

I'm not sure, the question is how heavy the annotations will be, I
think not too much. The question why I'm kind of reluctant is the
idea for instance that NSAttributedString would be separated into an
NSString and an NSStringAttributes object, somehow this doesn't make
sense to make. It will also be more problematic to keep things in
sync after editing, and would certainly require all kinds of
notification and delegates "hacks" to make it work. In the end I
don't think we even need light weight sequences so much. After all,
we're passing around pointers to objects, so imagine a bcalignment,
it will get the pointers to the sequences, it will use the ivar to
the raw data to get access to the char arrays, and do it stuff.
Whether or not the bcsequence object contains the annotations or not
doesn't make a millisecond or kb or ram difference!! This is one of
the nicest things of the char array setup in fact. I don't like the
idea of a separate record for the annotations too much. The question
in the end comes to whether we see the sequence as the center of our
universe, also containing annotations, or whether we see the metadata
as the most important part, with one of its attributes being the
sequence data in the form of a bcsequence object. I don't get the
overall picture. If you really want to do the separation, it would
make even more sense to me to make BCSequence the metadata/
annotations object and have a separate BCSequenceData object...
Alex

                   AIM: mekentosj at mac.com
                   E-mail: a.griekspoor at nki.nl
               Web: http://www.mekentosj.com