[Biococoa-dev] Sequence Structure

John Timmer jtimmer at bellatlantic.net
Mon Jul 11 08:44:57 EDT 2005

> On Jul 11, 2005, at 4:58 AM, Alexander Griekspoor wrote:
>
>>  let's go with a single bcsequence (or two actually, a mutable and
>> immutable form).
>
> Hear, hear!
>
> This day is starting pretty good :)

Well, it's starting very poorly for me.  If I'm the only one arguing the
alternative, then I the majority should rule.  Unfortunately, that makes the
resulting framework a poor choice for my work/coding style, so I don't
expect I will use it for much more than sequence format translations and
perhaps alignments.  Since I won't be using the main classes, I doubt I'll
contribute much to their coding in the future.

The big question I have is this:  several of the classes as they now exist
would provide a very good foundation for some of the things I would like to
do in the future.  I like a lot of the code there, since I wrote it and then
had the rest of you point out where I made mistakes, so it's probably some
of the best code I've been involved with ;).  I'd like to use it in future
work, so I'd like to hang on to the classes.  I would also expect that I'll
be modifying these classes for my own uses in the future.  I do not want to
create a complete LGPL fork.  Is there any good way of handling this?  I
can't even just decide to start from scratch, since I'd probably re-write a
lot of it in exactly the same way.

Any advice on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.

JT