[Biococoa-dev] Sequence Structure

Alexander Griekspoor mek at mekentosj.com
Mon Jul 11 10:42:09 EDT 2005

> John, I am sure I speak for the others too that I would hate to see
> you leave, so again, we should try all our efforts to come to a
> good way out of this.
Yes, absolutely!! It would be really a pity to see you leave John.
You have made absolutely a major contribution to the project, and it
would be a shame to see a person leave with your experience and
skills. I hope you decide to take the gamble, perhaps wait a bit till
we can either see whether or not we are heading in the right
direction, and jump back in. Already having the opinions and critical
eye of someone who is sceptical about our approach would be very
helpful!

Again, I have been always in favour of first of all only 1 approach,
either typed or untyped bcsequences, and I have always been in favour
of typed sequences. I still would like to see only one approach, but
recently I feel more and more attracted to the untyped sequences
approach for several reasons:
- a uniform and simple interface for new developers (and ourselves).
Trying (and failing) to explain our approach even to myself on the
WWDC told me we were doing something wrong
- we have a way of typing in my opinion, the symbolsets, I'm
convinced (at least hope) that this should be able to give enough
typing and error checking, also during runtime (by explicit testing
ourselves).
- it largely reduces the number of subclasses to only 2 (mutable vs
immutable), and solves a problem I haven't seen a decent alternative
for, the 2d-inheritance problem.

Perhaps I was most convinced by the appearance of more and more omni-
graffle schemes. I couldn't understand a single one instantly, way to
complex, way to many arrows, code-duplication all over, methods
spread all over, difficult initializers, tricks, etc. For me they
made only one thing really clear, not the structure we should pick,
but the structure we should not pick.

Again, it would be a real pity to leave, if you want to use some of
the classes like they are now in your own projects I would say go
ahead, we'll work the license out later. We can always release the
current "snapshot" under a bsd license. But I hope your needs are not
immediate and that you are willing to hang around and see how things
develop. I hope it will change your mind later, and that the
framework can be of great use. In the mean time your advice would be
indispensable!
Cheers,
Alex

                    AIM: mekentosj at mac.com